Starting from tomorrow Eat Your Home will be delivering Angela’s Backyard Farming’s delicious Alfalfa Sprouts. I wanted to do an article today to punt this little tiny sprouted bean that packs a serious dosage of goodness. Please support Eat Your Home and ABF by placing an order on their website http://www.eatyourhome.org/ouroffering. Great news for us Durban North peeps is that they have recently added a new drop off point – outside Bartho’s Fish Co – 8-12 Mackeurtan Avenue on a Tuesday at 14h30 – 15h30pm.
NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF ALFALFA SPROUTS:
Before I become so interested in sprouting, I never looked into the benefits of eating sprouts, and they were more of a tasty, crunchy garnish to a meal. Now at our home we rarely go a day without sprouts on the plate. Alfalfa sprouts are a great introduction to acquiring a taste for sprouts, they are mild and children even love them. These Leafy Green sprouts are the father of sprouts with the highest levels of vegetable protein, minerals and vitamins A, B complex, C, D, E and K (which aids in clotting blood). The Armenia name for Alfalfa means “father of all foods.” They also contain as much carotene as carrots.
DID YOU KNOW:
Alfalfa sprouts are actually the sprouted seed of Lucerne, which is greatly used as animal graze.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ALFALFA SPROUTS:
-Researchers have found that the fiber in alfalfa lowers cholesterol levels.
– Alfalfa sprouts contain phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) making alfalfa suited to give a balancing effect for conditions resulting from too little or too much estrogen. They are used as a holistic treatment to lower estrogen conditions such as hot flushes, menopause and preventive osteoporosis as well as high estrogen conditions such as PMS, fibrocystic breasts and estrogen-responsive cancers of the breast and uterus.
– Flavone, a biologically active compound in alfalfa has the ability to relax and smooth muscle tissue – ideal for cramps.
– Alfalfa contains free radical-fighting antioxidants, which are known to counteract and sometimes reverse the aging processes.
HOW TO EAT YOUR ABF ALFALFA SPROUTS:
Alfalfa sprouts are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. They are always eaten raw and their mild flavor will add crispness to salads, rich green colour to sandwich toppings, freshness to juicing and extra goodness in your wrap.
THINKING OF YOU & OUR WORLD:
– All sprouts come in a container made of PLA. This container is 100% compostable so please cut it up and add it to your compost heap.
– At Angela’s Backyard Farming, Alfalfa seeds are sprouted for a full 7 days. This means that any harmful natural toxins that may of existed, being associated with uncooked legumes, are not present in ABF alfalfa sprouts because they have now in fact grown past the legume stage and become baby green plants with a rich green first leaf division. To be doubly safe, all ABF sprouts are soaked and rinsed in purified water. ABF Alfalfa sprouts contain no added chemicals and are 100% safe to eat raw.
The Broccoli Sprouts Break through – Deborah R. Mitchell
Sprouts the Miracle Food – Steve Meyerowitz
Sprouts & Sprouting – Valerie Cupillard